Join the discussion and Follow this blog

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Who is God to you?

                For those of you out there with a faith in God, I would love to hear your discussions on what that means to you. I am beginning to see that I treat God as a tool. I use His existence to make my life easier and to gain power in small ways. I think we all do in some manner, but not on purpose. We are naturally selfish beings and want to gain importance, respect, and happiness. But are we using the name of God to make ourselves look important? Are we seeking God so that we can receive His blessings? Are we reducing God’s glory to His provisions? God should not have to bless me to make me love Him, praise Him and follow His commands. I get so caught up in will God provide? Of course he will provide but maybe not what I want. That should not be my desire. My desire should be solely to know Him more and more deeply and join Him in what He is doing. I have to ask is my worship narcissistic? Do I make God convenient? Do we choose a church to please ourselves by the music we like, the setting, the atmosphere…?  Or do we go to praise and know God and fellowship with the family of Christ? Do I read the Bible to find answers, happiness, blessings, or to know God, His character and His works? Do I pray to fix something or make myself feel useful? Or do I pray God’s will be done in this person’s life? More than to see this person happy, I want to see them passionate for God. Do I live religion by trying to be a good person, have a good life, and receive His blessings? That’s all about me and my happiness. Happiness is not important, joy and contentment is, and will be found by honoring God’s glory. “At the end of time, I Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the most high; I honored and glorified Him who lives forever.” Daniel 4:34.


What is your motivation in life? To be satisfied, feel good. Do you feel entitled to your life going well? The Bible says, “For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.” 2 Corinthians 1:5. We are not entitled to a “good life” by the world’s standards. But we are to find comfort through Christ alone. Sin starts with selfishness; the desire you think you deserve. Is the end we are after right now the usefulness of a relationship with God? When the end we should be after is the relationship with God period. I’m trying to refocus by recognizing his glory, understanding his love, dwelling in his presence and enjoying every minute with joy (not necessarily happiness) even through the hardships.

“Look to the Lord and His strength; seek His face always. Remember the wonders He has done, His miracles, and the judgements He pronounced.” 1 Chronicles 16:11-12.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't feel that I am entitled to anything, but I do trust that God will be honored through whatever path I follow Him on. My desire is for Him to be glorified by life, whether I'm in the mountains or the valleys. Though, I don't always live a life worthy (Phil 1:27), it is my desire to do so.